[Intel-gfx] DG45ID: Use DVI after HDMI has been used?

Will Saxon saxonww at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 03:40:59 CET 2010

Hello,

I have an Intel DG45ID connected to an increasingly-aggravating Westinghouse
LVM-42W2. I'm using intel driver 2.9.1. For a long time I used this
combination via one of the DVI inputs on the 42W2, but I recently switched to
HDMI.

Unfortunately, every time I power cycle the monitor the HDMI input won't work
anymore until the source (the DG45ID) is also rebooted. Until the computer is
rebooted I get a blank green screen; the monitor must be powered on during the
reboot for anything besides the green to display. I doubt this is an Intel
problem - I think it's probably something to do with HDCP handling on the
monitor - but I wanted to ask if there was a way to work around this in
software without requiring a total restart of the machine. Rebooting every
time I want to use this machine is awful.

What I wanted to do this evening was just move everything back to the DVI
input temporarily, since a program is recording and I don't want to reboot
right now. I figured I could do this by just moving cables and restarting X
remotely, however that did not work. The intel driver does not see any
connected outputs:

(II) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) G45/G43
(--) intel(0): Chipset: "G45/G43"
(II) intel(0): Output VGA1 has no monitor section
(II) intel(0): Output HDMI1 has no monitor section
(II) intel(0): Output DP1 has no monitor section
(II) intel(0): Output HDMI2 has no monitor section
(II) intel(0): Output DP2 has no monitor section
(II) intel(0): Output VGA1 disconnected
(II) intel(0): Output HDMI1 disconnected
(II) intel(0): Output DP1 disconnected
(II) intel(0): Output HDMI2 disconnected
(II) intel(0): Output DP2 disconnected
(WW) intel(0): No outputs definitely connected, trying again...
(II) intel(0): Output VGA1 disconnected
(II) intel(0): Output HDMI1 disconnected
(II) intel(0): Output DP1 disconnected
(II) intel(0): Output HDMI2 disconnected
(II) intel(0): Output DP2 disconnected
(WW) intel(0): Unable to find initial modes
(==) intel(0): video overlay key set to 0x101fe
(EE) intel(0): No modes.
(II) UnloadModule: "intel"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

I expect that DVI will work again when I reboot the system. DVI does not
exhibit the green-screen problem when the monitor is power cycled.

Are either of these things able to be handled better by software, or is this a
case of a buggy monitor refusing to behave? I don't think I should have to
reboot the machine all the time.

Thanks,

-Will