[Intel-gfx] ADD2 cards for g33

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Jan 20 02:45:27 CET 2010

On 2010-01-19 14:20-0800 Kenneth Graunke wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 January 2010 11:53:38 Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> [snip]
>> * I searched usa.asus.com (since ASUS manufactured my P5K-V motherboard
>>  with g33 chipset), tigerdirect, newegg, and ncix for ADD2 cards, and only
>>  the last one yielded any possibilities. Those were the HP DY674A
>> (http://ncix.com/products/?sku=40501&vpn=DY674A&manufacture=Hewlett%20Packa
>> rd) for $50 and the Lenovo 43R1985
>> (http://ncix.com/products/?sku=43796&vpn=43R1985&manufacture=Lenovo) for
>> $40.  Will those cards only work with HP or Lenovo computers or are ADD2
>> cards generic items that should work for any computer?
>
> I bought a HP DY674A back in 2007 for my desktop, which I built from parts.  I
> still use it today; it works fine.  IIRC you just plug it in and it works.

Hi Kenneth:

For your desktop did you ever compare with straight VGA for the same
monitor? Obviously the conversion from D to A in the video chip then back
from A to D in the monitor must take some toll with VGA.  However it is
possible that toll is not really detectable by human eyes so I would
appreciate comments on that aspect from you or anyone here who was curious
enough to do such comparisons for exactly the same monitor/hardware/software
stack.

Thanks for the above information and also the other information on ADD2
support within the X intel stack and alternative places to buy ADD2 cards.
Those alternatives would involve border hassles/fees (I live in Canada) with
an exchange rate that effectively increases the cost of the US alternatives
when converted to Canadian dollars (the NCIX cost for both ADD2 and video
cards I quoted was in Canadian dollars) so it still appears the ADD2 cost
doesn't compare well against low-end ATI video card alternatives.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).