[Intel-gfx] Colour management (beyond gamma)

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 21 03:28:30 CET 2010

Hi guys,

I was wondering what support for colour management exists in the 965
hardware beyond what is currently exposed in the Linux drivers.

I noted that on Win32, the Intel driver allows complex adjustment of the
device colour output (If memory serves, more than just 3x gamma knobs).

>From the PRM, I see there is a 10 bit mapping table - are there any
drivers which are available to tweak those settings?

Does the laptop Bios hard-code any LCD panel colour information?

The LCD panel in my HP laptop has awful colour rendition. Its gamma
appears to vary quite a bit on the R, G and B channels - and no ammount
of twiddling the 3 gamma settings with xrandr can quite correct for it.

Given the panel is only 18bit colour, perhaps there isn't a great deal
that can be done about it - but having just put it next to my HP 2475w
(which is a true 24bit panel), the colour rendition just looks awful.

This said.. I guess there is less _extra_ quantisation when setting a
non-unity gamma on the 18bit panel than the minor corrections I made to
the output on the external (VGA connected) 24bit panel.

Any pointers?

Best regards,

Peter C.