[Intel-gfx] power usage increased from 2.6.32.x to 2.6.31.4

Pedro Ribeiro pedrib at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 18:29:42 CET 2010

2010/1/25 Li Peng <peng.li at linux.intel.com>:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 06:34:11PM +0000, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I just wanted to share my experience - I've realized that when my
>> laptop is idle (blank screensaver) the power usage jumped 2w from
>> 2.6.32.x to 2.6.32.4.
>> Before I was getting 10w idle, now im getting around 12w.
>>
>> My chipset is a GM45.
>>
>> Is this normal and expected?
>>
>> Thanks for your patience,
>>
> This could be caused by commit "drm/i915: remove render reclock support"
> in 2.6.32.4, which disables render reclock support, thus idle power usage
> is up.
>
>> Pedro

Hi Li Peng,

you are absolutely right. I reverted the patch "drm/i915: remove
render reclock support" on 2.6.32.4 and Im back to 10w idle :-)

Do you think that using the kernel with this reversed patch is safe? I
didn't have any problem before it was reversed (i had to remove some
IS_IRONLAKE checks but that doesn't apply to me, i have a GM45).

Yakui,

thank you for your interest, please let me know if you still need the
debug logs you requested!

Regards,
Pedro