[Intel-gfx] What's the story with Gallium and Intel GPUs?

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Tue Jan 26 10:06:09 CET 2010

Or that could be "Is there a story in the first place?" :-)

I'm interested in intel gfx hardware (it's what I have in my laptop),
and I'd like to see if I can help things up to the point where I can
play with geometry shaders and stuff.  Maybe I can, maybe I can't,
time will tell.

One of the things I'm trying to figure out is the place of Gallium in
all that.  Having it in the separate directory with separate drivers
in the mesa git is a little strange, and google only says that the
intel gfx devs are not interested by gallium at that point.

One the other hand, it looks like it may be a requirement for GLSL
1.5/OpenGL 3.2 (in the future, obviously).

So what is it?  A future requirement?  An alternative way of doing
things?  Is the interest in gallium for intel gpus only deferred until
kms/uxa is considered stable or there is an active rejection going on?
And if so, where should I look for the technical reasons, if any?

Regards,

  OG.