[Intel-gfx] XV image size limits on 965G

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 07:31:24 CEST 2010

  Hello.

As you probably know, YouTube started supporting 4K videos (i.e., those
with resolution of 4096x2304). The downloaded copies of these videos
play fine with mplayer -vo gl (provided that the CPU is powerful enough
- but even an old Core 2 Duo E6420 @ 2.13 GHz is enough), but not with
-vo xv. This happens because both XV adaptors on 965G (overlay and
textured) have an image size limit of 2048x2048, and that is not enough.

(the fact that there is a version of the same movie more suitable for my
monitor is ignored for the purposes of this mail)

Do I understand correctly that in the end, both gl and xv textured
adaptor use the same hardware for scaling and colorspace conversion? If
so, why do they have different limitations?

P.S. I tried to change IMAGE_MAX_{WIDTH,HEIGHT} in src/i830_video.c to
4096. Result: textured video fails with BadAlloc (obviously, I have to
change something else), overlay video mostly works (sometimes stutters -
i.e., displays frames n, n+1, n+2, n+3, n+2, n+3, n+2, n+3, n+4, ...).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov