[Intel-gfx] Fwd: State of 10 bits/channel?

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Fri Jul 23 14:26:11 CEST 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:34:09 -0400, Andrew Lutomirski <luto at mit.edu> wrote:
> [resend b/c I used the wrong from address last time]
>
> I have a 10 bit/channel monitor (DisplayPort) which works quite nicely
> in 8 bit mode.  I saw some patches from Peter Clifton related to 10
> bit support go in awhile ago.

[snip]

> What is the hardware capable of, and what is the state of affairs
> right now?

AIUI, all the intel chips are capable of driving 30-bit displays. The
later generations are more flexible and faster with greater bit depth for
LUTs etc. The output driver support should (in theory) be complete, but it
hasn't been well tested due to scarcity of suitable displays.

>  I'm running 2.6.35-rc4+ with a hacked up xf86-video-intel
> with this patch:

Please submit this as a format-patch to the list for inclusion.

> With that patch and DefaultDepth 30, I get a mostly working system,
> but there's no direct rendering (seems to be disabled because "DRI is
> disabled because it runs only at depths 16 and 24") title bars on
> gnome-terminal draw incorrectly.

Hmm, the render paths should work on 10bpc surfaces. Please do file bugs
for the failures.