[Intel-gfx] [coming from nvidia] Intel's equivalent of TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride?

Lara Michaels laramichaels1978 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 08:21:05 CET 2010

Hello,

Brief question: is there a way, using an Intel GMA 4500MHD card, to tell Xorg that what appears to be an absurdly wide 2560x1024 screen is in reality two separate 1280x1024 physical screens?

Using a nvidia card on a different system, I could easily do this by setting in my xorg.conf:

Option         "TwinviewXineramaInfo"     "True"
Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride" "1280x1024+0+0,1280x1024+1024+0

Is it possible to do the same on an intel-based setup?

[For background, this is for using my beloved Matrox Dualhead2go (http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/compatibility/gxm/), which allows me to connect two 1280x1024 screens to a single HDMI port on my laptop. presenting them to the graphics adapter on the laptop as a single 2560x1024 screen. Telling X that these are in fact *two separate screens* is required for all sorts of desirable behavior -- eg, having a window maximize to the full-size of the physical screen it is located in, rather than to the entire width of my 2-monitor setup.]

If you know how to do this, please let me know!

Thanks!

~lara