[Intel-gfx] Debian unstable: how to compile intel_drv.so from source

Holger Schurig holgerschurig at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 10:11:13 CET 2010

This is just a mental note, in case someone googles for this info.

Problem
-------
I got xserver-xorg-video-intel via git from
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel. However, it did
not compile under Debian SID because of the missing I915_PARAM_HAS_OVERLAY
issue.

That happened because /usr/include/drm/i915_drm.h comes from linux-libc-dev,
which is at 2.6.32-9 in Debian unstable. And this doesn't contain the symbol.
Debians libdrm-dev_2.4.18-2_i386.deb doesn't install drm/i915_drm.h.

In Debian Experimental is a newer linux-libc-dev, version
2.6.33-1~experimental. This now has a i915_drm.h with the missing
I915_PARAM_HAS_OVERLAY. You can't install it, because it contains a
nouveau_drm.h, but libdrm-dev also contains nouveau_drm.h.

Remedy
------
So I did "apt-get source libdrm-dev", changed into it's directory, added
nouveau_drm.h to linux 108 in it's debian/rules file, made my own *.deb out of
it with "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us -b", installed this, then
installed the linux-libc-dev from experimental.

And now I could compile my own driver_intel.so from freedesktop.org git
repository.

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de