[Intel-gfx] How to increase DPI on Compaq Mini 702EA (1024x600) Ubuntu 9.10

Jon jg at jguk.org
Sun Mar 7 18:21:28 CET 2010

Hi Flo

Thanks for the reply.

Florian Mickler wrote, On 02/03/10 08:50:
> On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 08:33:45 +0000
> Jon <jg at jguk.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I've been disucssing this on the xorg mailing list:
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/xorg@lists.freedesktop.org/msg10672.html
>
> did you try xrandr --dpi ?

Just tried "xrandr --dpi 117". It does correctly update the output of
xpdyinfo resolution line from 96dpi to 117dpi.. but Firefox still has
small text. I tried changing the firefox property layout.css.dpi from
-1 to be 117 but it did not make any difference unfortunately. I
restarted firefox just in case

I've set Gnome's appearances Font size to 117, and that correctly
increases all the Gnome application dpi's, so all the text, menus,
incons there is larger.
Section "Device"
         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
         Option          "NoDCC" "true"
         Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
         Option "UseEDID" "false"
         Option "NoRandR" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
         DisplaySize     224 130  # 117dpi
#       DisplaySize     163 95 # 160dpi
#       Modes "1024x600"
#       Option   "DPI" "160 x 160"
EndSection

I only ever had one success the other week, I killed gdm process, and
did startx -- -dpi 117, and that did seem to work in Firefox.. but was
never able to repeat it. Firefox gets the value from xdpyinfo's dpi
value, of 96 or 117 after xrandr --dpyi 117.

BTW, I think I undertood this correctly. xorg.conf file DisplaySize
causes Xft.dpi to be set correctly now:

root at netbook:~# xrdb -query | grep dpi
Xft.dpi:    117

Section "Device"
         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
         Option          "NoDCC" "true"
         Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
         Option "UseEDID" "false"
         Option "NoRandR" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
         DisplaySize     224 130  # 117dpi
#       DisplaySize     163 95 # 160dpi
#       Modes "1024x600"
#       Option   "DPI" "160 x 160"
EndSection

Unfortunately still Firefox not right.Any ideas for that? Also any
ideas for things I could follow to get the xdpyinfo to default to the
correct dpi?

Thanks for all the help.
Jon