[Intel-gfx] How to increase DPI on Compaq Mini 702EA (1024x600) Ubuntu 9.10

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 7 22:21:10 CET 2010

On 2010/03/07 17:28 (GMT) Jon composed:

> I have Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 I am using (Sorry, perhaps I should
> have mentioned, does this make any differences?)

> Ubuntu uses "gdm" rarhter than "xdm" or others.

> I found this file, but I can't figure out anywhere to set dpi options
> in it:
> /etc/gdm/Xsession

> I'd like to find the script or process which is calling xinit (as
> startx does) or X directly.

I have to guess the ubuntu-users and/or xorg lists would probably be better
places to ask about the above, since this is a group about Intel drivers and
closely related matters.

> I renamed the gdm script, but it still manages to run somehow:
> /etc/init.d/gdm.bak

Another ubuntu question, but I think the answer may be upstart's changed
meaning of /etc/init.d.

> /etc/gdm/Xsession seems to be the main script which starts the desktop

> this seems to only be executed by startx:
> /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc

> I'm thinking about un-installing the "gdm" package to make a test
> there. if I run "gdm stop" and then I can use startx.. however the
> netbook is very laggy then, unsure why.

Try starting top on one console before doing startx, then doing another top
in an xterm, and comparing their output, and looking for some missing or
runaway X process that may depend on something that doesn't get started if
GKXdm aren't running.
--
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious
people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/