[Intel-gfx] Black screen on boot with KMS and unable to start X

Scott Silverman ssilverman at simplexinvestments.com
Wed Mar 17 17:44:09 CET 2010

I have an IBM Thinkpad X30 with the Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset
Graphics Controller] (rev 04).

I am trying to install X with Arch Linux (kernel 2.6.32). I have the
xf86-video-intel v2.10.0-1.

First, without X installed/running, if I boot the machine normally I get
nothing but a blank screen. Same if I set "i915.modeset=1". Alternatively,
if i use the "nomodesetting" kernel argument I can properly boot and use the
console.

Output of dmesg when booted with i915.modeset=1:
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/190811/

Xorg.0.log when started (via ssh) with i915.modeset=1:
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/190807/

How can I configure my kernel/xorg so that I can boot and see my console,
and also have the ability to start X?