[Intel-gfx] Black screen on boot with KMS and unable to start X

Florian Mickler florian at mickler.org
Thu Mar 18 11:54:10 CET 2010

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:55:04 -0500
Scott Silverman <ssilverman at simplexinvestments.com> wrote:

> I tried updating to the driver you specified (Actually, I went to 2.10.902).
>
> I still can't start X, I get:
>
> (EE) intel(0): No kernel modesetting driver detected.
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> I have checked dmesg, doesn't appear to be anything interesting there.
>
> In the interest of confirming that I have a proper configuration, I changed
> " Driver "Intel" " to " Driver "vesa" " temporarily, X started up (thought
> without decorations, I didn't really bother to look into that).
>
> I am currently using the uvesafb framebuffer driver, but as soon as the i915
> module loads it enables modesetting and my display goes blank.

Hi!

please post your kernel .config.

short summary of the kernel side:
1. all kernel-graphics support is consolidated into i915 module.
fbcon is used by i915 to display the console. kernel mode setting is
needed for userspace x-driver.

2. all other kernel framebuffer-drivers are not to be used together with
the i915 module.

if you honor those two points, you should see the kernel booting up.
if you don't see the kernel booting up, you should probably file a bug.

hth,
Flo