[Intel-gfx] GM45 and Full-HD video

Sven Arvidsson sa at whiz.se
Sun Mar 21 18:07:23 CET 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 16:33 +0200, Claudio wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just got a new Full-HD video recording capable camera, and I was
> testing the video on my Vaio SR11M. I have a Debian Sid, I am using
> the 2.6.33.1 kernel and the Intel driver 2.9.1. Xserver core is
> 7.5.902. Intel claims in their website that the Intel GM45 graphics
> card is capable or playing back full-hd (1080p) video.
>
> I just copied the video onto my laptop, and it goes really slow and
> the audio is totally out of sync. I have tried mplayer, ffplay and
> totem, but I always get the same result. The CPU is, however, at
> 800MHZ (lowest state) and only 6%. The video has been recorded using
> 1920x1080 at 25fps.
>
> I tested the same video on a Mac, and it goes smooth. So it is not a
> matter of my camera, but it is my Linux graphics stack. Do I need
> driver 2.11.0 for playing back Full-HD video on my Debian Sid?
>
> My processor is a Core 2 Duo P8400 and I've got 4GB of RAM, but I
> don't think this matter to this issue.
>
> Could you give me some hint? Or is it just that the GM45 is not that
> good as Intel claims on their website?

I think you're referring to GPU decoding of video, this is supported
through VA-API, but at the moment only for MPEG2. H264 is apparently
planned for Q2 this year:
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showpost.php?p=116023&postcount=11

That said, you're probably doing something wrong if you're getting so
low CPU usage, if I try to play 1080p material it easily consumes most
of the CPU...

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson