[Intel-gfx] Extreme memory usage when running USDX with Intel driver

Tobias Doerffel tobias.doerffel at gmail.com
Tue May 4 01:19:01 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have serious problems with running UltraStar Deluxe (a free OpenGL-based
karaoke program) on an Intel graphic card (945GME). When starting the program,
the system starts to use more than 1,5 GB of RAM for (I guess) GEM stuff. I
can't blame the program as it's running fine with both swrast (on the same
computer and setup) and the nouveau driver on another computer and itself
consumes about 100 MB of RAM.

I collected some data describing the system status after the program has been
started up (and switched to tty0 in order to get these values).

With Mesa 7.9 /proc/dri/0/gem_object tells me

8996 objects
-1422700544 object bytes
3 pinned
19365888 pin bytes
140005376 gtt bytes
260308992 gtt total

With Mesa 7.8.1 it looks like the following:

2655 objects
-1792622592 object bytes
3 pinned
19365888 pin bytes
233402368 gtt bytes
260308992 gtt total

At the same time /proc/<PID>/smaps has about 2500 similiar entries looking
like

1007e000-1017e000 rw-s 20ac0e000 00:05 314       /dev/dri/card0
Size:               1024 kB
Rss:                   0 kB
Pss:                   0 kB
Shared_Clean:          0 kB
Shared_Dirty:          0 kB
Private_Clean:         0 kB
Private_Dirty:         0 kB
Referenced:            0 kB
Swap:                  0 kB
KernelPageSize:        4 kB
MMUPageSize:           4 kB

/proc/dri/0/gem_names contains

  name     size handles refcount
name 1 size 4194304
     1  4194304       2        5
name 2 size 4194304
     2  4194304       2        4
name 3 size 16777216
     3 16777216       1        4

My setup is the latest kernel with latest commits from the drm-intel-next
branch. Same for xf86-video-intel and libdrm (both compiled from Git). XServer
version is 1.8. Mesa as written above. What could I do further to track down
the problem?

From what I saw in the source code, the program creates lots of textures for
individual glyphs of fonts. The extreme memory usage seems to start while the
several thousands of textures are being created. I'm just wondering that
everything works fine with other drivers.

Best regards,

Toby