[Intel-gfx] Picture quality on laptop LCD with i915GM chipset.

SD sd.domrep at yahoo.com
Sat May 15 02:17:26 CEST 2010

--- On Sat, 5/15/10, Andrew Lutomirski <luto at mit.edu> wrote:

> From: Andrew Lutomirski <luto at mit.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Intel-gfx] Picture quality on laptop LCD with i915GM chipset.
> To: "SD" <sd.domrep at yahoo.com>
> Cc: intel-gfx at lists.freedesktop.org
> Date: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 3:21 AM
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 7:17 PM, SD
> <sd.domrep at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Dear All.
> >
> > My question may look strange but I have some serious
> problem that prevent me of using any linuxes on kernel
> higher then 2.6.27.
> >
> > Explanation: I have laptop i686 Celeron i915GM video.
> On it there is two OS - OpenSuse 11.1 (kernel 2.6.27) and
> now Fedora 13 (2.6.33 - 85). I have tested Fedora 12, nut
> upgrade it to 13.
>
> Have you tried OpenSuse 11.1 with a newer kernel?
>
> If the problem is just the fonts, you might be seeing a
> result of
> different fonts, subpixel rendering settings, or freetype
> version.
>
> If the problem is really due to the graphics driver, you
> should be
> able to take a screenshot in one OS and look at it in the
> other and
> see a difference.
>
> --Andy

I have tried OpenSuse 11.2, which is with newer kernel and it shows the same bad like Fedora 12. So I decided to shift on fedora, but unfortunately although Fedora 13 shows screen better - it is still not usable (actually screen picture on Fedora 12 was really awful). I have tried to compare video output on OpenSuse 11.1 and Fedora 13, all of the has the same, except of "xdpyinfo": on suse it tells about 3 visuals ( number of visuals:    3), but on Fedora 13 - 32 visuals. Fedora 12 got 72.

Problems is not with fonts at all, problem with whole screen. Font, because it very contrast, is more noticeable. Also, of course I use freetype for the full hinting.
Does it happened to all intel chipset, or to only i915GM, because I of course going to change my laptop, and it looks like I am not going to by a one with intel video.

Thanks.