[Intel-gfx] Query on Intel IGP and audio over displayport

Zhenyu Wang zhenyuw at linux.intel.com
Mon May 17 03:16:50 CEST 2010

On 2010.05.15 03:46:35 +0200, Mikael Öhman wrote:
> Hello.
> I was wondering if it was possible to send audio over displayport using a Core
> i5 661 (Clarkdale) IGP.
> I have seen some charts indicating that the hardware actually supports it, but
> I'm not even sure if I should ask here or perhaps to some ALSA mailing list.
> On google I have only found things related to DP->HMDI with audio, which I
> don't need.

Yeah, we're looking into that actually. And current difficult is how to
identify the DP sink device really has audio support. One is to use EDID
CEA ext 'basic audio' feature, and another I've tried is to parse DPCD
downstream device type. Unfortunately the DP monitors we have now don't
have sane indication for them all, so we don't have good hardware to verify
this (also tried windows driver but still failed with DP audio on it).

Maybe we should just use EDID to determine whether enable audio or not.

> aplay only lists
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC889 Analog [ALC889 Analog]
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC889 Digital [ALC889 Digital]
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: INTEL HDMI 0 [INTEL HDMI 0]
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 7: INTEL HDMI 1 [INTEL HDMI 1]
> and naturally I've tried them all, with no sound.
>
> I'm using Debian unstable, and xserver-xorg-video-intel 2.11  (everything else
> also uptodate with Sid if that matters.)

You may try to force 'has_audio' to true in intel_dp.c, and try with HDA
HDMI codec. Let me know if that'll work for you, and what's your monitor model?

--
Open Source Technology Center, Intel ltd.

$gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 4D781827