[Intel-gfx] Unexpected behaviour of xrandr and the Intel driver on monitor hotplug

Simon Farnsworth simon.farnsworth at onelan.com
Tue May 18 19:07:54 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 18 May 2010, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 12:13 +0100, Simon Farnsworth wrote:
> > The first bit of misbehaviour I'm seeing is caching of EDID across
> > hotplug events. If I boot my system with no display attached, I
> > correctly see no EDID property. When I connect a monitor via VGA, using
> > cabling that supports DDC, I see EDID. When I unplug the monitor, I
> > continue to see the old EDID. When I then plug in using a cable that
> > doesn't support DDC, I see an extra mode appear in the mode list, but
> > the EDID has not changed. Connecting using the original cable, or
> > disconnecting cables completely removes this extra mode.
>
> commit 725398322d05486109375fbb85c3404108881e17
> Author: Zhao Yakui <yakui.zhao at intel.com>
> Date:   Thu Mar 4 08:25:55 2010 +0000

Adding that to my kernel build nearly fixed things for me. I still can't
explain why the 848x480 mode appears when I connect a DDC-crippled cable to
the GMA 945, but I can live with that, I suspect (it looks to be XServer side,
anyway, and I'm about to have to generate patches there, as I don't want
default modes).
--
Simon Farnsworth
Software Engineer