[Intel-gfx] Picture quality on laptop LCD with i915GM chipset

SD sd.domrep at yahoo.com
Wed May 19 06:11:44 CEST 2010

--- On Wed, 5/19/10, Jin, Gordon <gordon.jin at intel.com> wrote:

> From: Jin, Gordon <gordon.jin at intel.com>
> Subject: RE: [Intel-gfx] Picture quality on laptop LCD with i915GM chipset
> To: "SD" <sd.domrep at yahoo.com>, "intel-gfx at lists.freedesktop.org" <intel-gfx at lists.freedesktop.org>
> Date: Wednesday, May 19, 2010, 6:03 AM
> SD wrote on Wednesday, May 19, 2010
> 8:32 AM:
> gmail.com>
> laptop LCD with i915GM
> lists.freedesktop.org>

> screenshot to make

> >> I do not blame anyone, I know you all want to
> help.
> >> I tried to take a picture and take a video, but
> unfortunately 30
> >> frame per second can't catch it. Everything looks
> nice.
> >> I will try to explain again. In compare with
> kernel up to 2.6.27
> >> (because I used Ubuntu, Mandriva), 2.6.33
> looks:more brighter, may
> >> be more contrast, especially white, it is
> definitely more brighter
> >> although I stated xgamma 0.75. But biggest problem
> is that colors of
> >> the picture are not solid, stable - they are
> somehow blinking or
> >> flickering. Sometime I think may be back lights of
> LCD panel works
> >> different. And after hour or two eyes start notice
> it, it is looks
> >> like colors is not constant, they always changes,
> little bit but
> >> they are "playing". It is very noticeable if I log
> into different
> >> TTY (not graphical) and just start "mc" - it
> present for eyes.
> >> It is impossible to record, sorry.
> >>
> >> Thanks for help.

> newer kernel
> decided to
> Fedora 13 shows
> (actually screen
> tried to
> Fedora 13, all of
> suse it tells
>   3), but on Fedora

> with whole
> more noticeable.
> hinting.
> to only
> laptop, and
> intel video.

> > Dear All.
> >
> > At last, I found the problem - it is new kernel 33 and
> 34, I took
> > them from Fedora.
> > I put them to my OpenSuse 11.1 (27 kernel) and boot it
> up.
> > Picture of the screen became unusable. And it is not
> Xorg with its
> > drivers, because except of the kernel everything from
> OpenSuse 11.1 -
> > it is kernel.
> > I do not know how it works with other GPU (intel or
> nvidia), but mine
> > i915GM shows awful screen.
> > I know what is wrong with picture - colors of the
> pixels. They are
> > not static, they change. Little bit, but change. It
> [...]

Just checked on Fedora Rawhide 34 kernel. Booted with i915.powersave=0 - there is no difference.
I would say that pixel changes brightness. For example, I found a 1 pixel line on fxce panel - white line surrounding by gray aria. And it is possible to notice that pixels on gray line next to white is not constantly gray, they are flickering or changing brightness.