[Intel-gfx] Intel HD Graphics (i3 integrated) - maximum 3D resolution for OpenGL?

Paweł Rumian gorkypl at gmail.com
Sat May 29 13:21:45 CEST 2010

Hello,

I'm thinking about upgrade of my home linux box, and I seriously
consider buying an Intel Core i3 and using its integrated graphics - I
have very good experiences with i915 on my laptop and I'd like to stay
with Intel.

Hovewer, I have two questions:

1. What is the maximum supported 3D resolution for OpenGL? This
doesn't mean a single texture, but the scene as a whole. I'm not an
expert, but I think that this is how it is called...
Currently I have a Radeon R300 and it has the limit of 2560x2560px
with hardware acceleration, so using dualhead configuration with width
about 3000px forces me to disable OpenGL effects for the desktop.

2. What is the overall status of linux driver for this chip? It's hard
to find comprehensive information - as far as i know it has no number
in its name, and searching google for 'Intel HD Graphics' often
returns i915 and other chipsets.

greetings and thanks in advance,
Paweł