[Intel-gfx] PROBLEM: i915 modesetting - weird offset graphics (v2.6.37-rc1-27-gff8b16d)

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Nov 4 23:14:07 CET 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 13:41 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 09:37:01 -0400, Jon Masters <jonathan at jonmasters.org> wrote:
> > Also, the intel-gfx list is moderated with auto-rejection. Do I really
> > need to subscribe to the list just to get a mail through?
>
> A few of the Intel gfx engineers are at Plumbers. If you tell Jesse about
> it, he may be able to convince the powers-that-be to change the policy.

I didn't see this mail in time. I did show a few folks the corruption,
ran the kernel with drm.debug=4, etc. and checked the modelines. xrandr
and the kernel seem to report the same modes each time, but obviously
the display is shifted. I see various changes in git (everything from
EDID reading to actual modeline changes in the i915 code - various weird
margin settings seem to exist that might well cause some offset in the
display) that could be responsible, so I will bisect it now for you.

My concern with the email list is that it's listed in the MAINTAINERS
file, but it's essentially of no value to bug reports unless they are
already subscribed to it (moderation is fine, even auto reject after 3
days - a standard mm feature, but I feel auto-reject is a little too
harsh). Needless to say, I'm subscribed now :)

Thanks,

Jon.