[Intel-gfx] xrandr crashes X with a "GPU hung" in the i915 driver

Bryan Freed bfreed at chromium.org
Fri Nov 5 01:12:31 CET 2010

I have a situation where unplugging an external monitor and running an
xrandr sequence to return the screen to the internal display sometimes
causes the i915 driver to wig out.

In perusing the intel-gfx archives, I see
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2010-May/006957.html makes a
reference to "commit 9f54107f866a25cf670f81f7c52b8c108728c6a5", but I do not
see that commit in the drm-intel kernel.  I am looking at git://
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ickle/drm-intel.git.  Is this not
the right repo?

The xrandr sequence to switch from external monitor to internal display is:
xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1280x800
xrandr --output VGA1 --off
xrandr --fb 1280x800

To switch back to the external monitor:
xrandr --output LVDS1 --off
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1920x1200
xrandr --fb 1920x1200

I have tried rearranging the order of commands, and this sequence reduces
the likelihood of failure:
xrandr --output VGA1 --off
xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1280x800
xrandr --fb 1280x800

But I still occasionally see the failure.  Stressing the driver a bit with
"echo 7 > /sys/module/drm/parameters/debug" seems to exacerbate the
situation (ie, increase the likelihood of failure).

Any ideas?

bryan.