[Intel-gfx] (no subject)

Thantry, Hariharan L hariharan.l.thantry at intel.com
Wed Nov 17 23:52:56 CET 2010

Hi folks,

I am a bit new to graphics, but had a few questions that I was hoping that someone could answer for me. I hope this is the right forum to ask these questions.
My interest is in seeing whether I can use the Intel integrated graphics part for non-graphics (GPGPU) work, while driving the display through another discrete card.
I have an Ironlake system (core setup with base Debian (no X-related packages), a basic PCI-E graphics card (NVIDIA NV37GL) and a 2.6.36 kernel with the following relevant config entries.

CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_VGA_ARB=y
CONFIG_VGA_ARB_MAX_GPUS=16
# CONFIG_VGA_SWITCHEROO is not set
CONFIG_DRM=m
CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=m
CONFIG_DRM_TTM=m
CONFIG_DRM_R128=m
CONFIG_DRM_I810=m
CONFIG_DRM_I830=m
CONFIG_DRM_I915=m
CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y

I have libdrm & libva installed, and was hoping to use libdrm APIs to do some basic operations on the integrated graphics.

I can insmod the DRM & the DRM_KMS_HELPER module fine, but when trying to insert the I915 driver, I get a "no such device error", even though the module object exists.

lspci doesn't seem to return the Intel integrated graphics PCI device either.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Auburndale/Havendale DRAM Controller (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Auburndale/Havendale PCI Express x16 Root Port (rev 02)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak HECI Controller (rev 06)
00:16.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak PT IDER Controller (rev 06)
00:16.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak KT Controller (rev 06)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 10f0 (rev 06)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak High Definition Audio (rev 06)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a6)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak LPC Interface Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak SMBus Controller (rev 06)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV37GL [Quadro PCI-E Series] (rev a2)
02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100 (rev 08)

First off, is there a way for the Intel integrated graphics to appear in the list of PCI devices when it's not being used for driving the display?
Secondly, can I simply use the libdrm APIs to directly perform operations on the Intel integrated part? Does there exist any documentation describing the DRM APIs?
Finally, can I use the DRM APIs for using the GPU "media pipe" (architecturally different from the 3D graphics pipe)?

Thanks,
Hari