[Intel-gfx] Zaphod mode support?

Rasto Sramek rsramek at inf.ethz.ch
Thu Oct 7 14:55:04 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 10:54:53AM -0400, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Rasto Sramek <rsramek at inf.ethz.ch> wrote:
> >> AFAICT Zaphod mode is one device but multiple X servers (presumably
> >> used independently by different people).  I think very few drivers
> >> support it these days.
> > Well, whatever it is called, I am referring to the configuration when I
> > have a single X server but multiple screens, like screen0 and screen1.
> >
> >> The modern approach is one "screen" divided among multiple monitors
> >> using RandR.  I'm not sure what fglrx and nvidia do.
> > Anything can of course use RandR, however at least nvidia drivers
> > support multiple screens. Afaik intel used to support it as well.
> > With nvidia one simply declares 2 monitors, and 2 screens.
> >>
> >> In any case, switching workspaces the way you want would be a feature
> >> of the window manager or compositing manager, not the driver.  If you
> >> use compiz + GNOME, try installing ccsm.  Then look in Desktop Wall /
> >> Viewport Switching and change the "Multimonitor behavior" setting.
> >> (If you're on Fedora and you enable compiz through desktop-effects,
> >> you'll need to modify /usr/bin/compiz-gtk like this:
> >
> > I use fluxbox which needs screen0 and screen1. I know that awesome is
> > aware of xrandr and can simulate separate screen behavior but I do not
> > know of other WMs that can do so. The reason I prefer having
> > multiple screens is that it is in my view a simple and correct behavior
> > which has worked for years.
> >

> I think any modern WM should support xrandr.  Also, that way you can
> drag windows from one screen to the other.
>
> Or you could Google around for Xinerama -- that might help.
>
> --Andy

Thanks, but accoding to my searching around, the only non-tiling WM that
supports this is Enlightment. Even compiz plugin suggested by you only
works in multihead mode, which I cannot get with interl driver.

How would xinerama help me I don't really know. Xinerama is a different
way of causing the problem I want to avoid.

All the best,
Rasto

(Sorry Andrew for wrong reply-to)