[Intel-gfx] Using quirks to fix incorrect Monitor physical size

Nasa nasa01 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 13 13:42:22 CEST 2010

----- "Felix Miata" <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 2010/09/13 10:10 (GMT) Nasa composed:
>
> >> Is there a way to tell the driver to use DisplaySize to pass the
> >> correct dimensions to
> >> the i915 driver?  from my searches, I saw the following note:
>
> >> News: xf86-video-intel only supports KMS now
> >> 2010-02-11 - Jan de Groot
>
> >> With the move of xf86-video-intel 2.10.0 to extra, support for UMS
> has
> >> been removed from the intel driver. This means that KMS is a
> >> requirement now.
>
> >> Does this mean that there's no way to override incorrect (or in my
> >> case) missing EDID info?  I am assuming so,
> >> which is why I am asking about quirks.  Thanks in advance,
>
> > So...
>
> > Given the lack of a response, I am guessing this means the drivers
> don't
> > support this capability.  Is there a reason for limiting user
> capabilities?
> > Removing users ability to work around hardware issues just seems
> like the
> > wrong way to go.  At least in my humble opinion.
>
> I'm not implying what you're asking for is unreasonable or too much to
> ask,
> but have you tried Meego's vesa or fbdev drivers with KMS disabled? If
> those
> don't cut it for you, maybe you just need to wait a while longer for
> the
> Intel devs to replace more of what got discarded when UMS got dumped
> from its
> driver. Maybe you need to file an xorg bug to help that along.
>
> What was on the laptop when you bought it? You'd think the vendor
> would have
> shipped something works with its hardware. I can't tell from
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2010-August/007907.html
> what
> it was you bought.
> --
Actually,

This isn't a laptop.  It's a 7" monitor (http://www.lilliput.cn/EBY701-NP.html),
that I am using in my carpc.  I am presently try this with the IVI
version of meego (with it's own issues).  Lilliput does provided drivers
for Windows, but nothing directly for Linux.  I have also verified that the
monitor doesn't provide EDID data as the file size (I found were it's dump to,
just can't recall right now) was 0.  Talking to Lilliput themselves hasn't
been very helpful (I don't speak a 2nd language, and neither did the rep I
tried to talk too).

Nasa

BTW: thanks for the reply.