[Intel-gfx] Using quirks to fix incorrect Monitor physical size

The Fungi fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Sep 13 15:44:38 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:42:22AM +0000, Nasa wrote:
[...]
> I have also verified that the monitor doesn't provide EDID data as
> the file size (I found were it's dump to, just can't recall right
> now) was 0.
[...]

You checked the size of the /sys/devices/*/*/drm/*/*/edid structure
(remember to cat it and redirect or pipe that through something,
since it's not a real file)?

   fungi at hastur:~$ cat '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-HDMI Type A-1/edid' | wc -c
   256

If memory serves, there was a commit to the driver a kernel rev or
two after KMS went in allowing explicit mode timings to be supplied
on as a kernel/driver parameter, though I'm having trouble digging
up the details now (I could also be misremembering and it just
allows you to pick among the additional non-preferred modes detected
by the driver).

For a while, I was stuck editing the kernel source and hacking the
default display timings to match my monitor, which was ugly but
definitely worked.

If you're using Xorg and can survive with no visible display until
after it starts (using a mode your driver supports but your monitor
does not), xrandr can be used to manually insert additional
modelines and switch to those (I used to do that in my ~/.xinitrc
until mode detection for my HDTV's HDMI input improved).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(97AE496FC02DEC9FC353B2E748F9961143495829);
SMTP(fungi at yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi at irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);