[Intel-gfx] Fan running with Intel Graphics

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Tue Dec 13 22:23:16 CET 2011

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 22:12:12 +0100
Johannes Bauer <dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de> wrote:
> And it's not even doing *anything*, the CPUs are all at almost 0%
> (therefore I don't think there's much heat coming from there). I'm not
> doing heavy graphics (not even light graphics, not even moving the mouse!).
>
> How can I measure the graphics card load? Would it improve anything if I
> compiled a kernel myself and switched to 3.1? Is there anything at all I
> can do?

In the console, as root, can you:

$ cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_cur_delayinfo | grep Lowest

then echo that value into the max freq file, e.g.:

$ echo 400 > /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_max_freq

then try logging in and doing stuff.  If that fixes your fan issue, it
means the GPU frequency is to blame.  I think Eugeni is working on a
nice API to let users control perf vs power a bit better than our
current default of "try to run as fast as possible under any load, even
a tiny one".