[Intel-gfx] i915_init takes a full second of kernel init time

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Dec 15 18:48:39 CET 2011

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:38:16 +0000, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:

> Reverting de842eff4101 (drm/i915: Wait for LVDS panel power sequence)
> should get another 0.4s back if intel_lvds_enable() is still in the
> critical path. After that the focus looks to be upon speeding up
> modeset.

*not* doing modeset for LVDS/eDP is the key here -- the panel is
probably already running, and all we need to do is change the scaling
parameters, which (on new hardware) doesn't require a full mode set.

I worked with vorlon to investigate what this would take and got pretty
far down the path; the big missing piece is that we have to have
a valid scanout buffer for the whole setup sequence.

keith.packard at intel.com