[Intel-gfx] Fan running with Intel Graphics

Johannes Bauer dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de
Thu Dec 15 23:13:30 CET 2011

Am 14.12.2011 03:49, schrieb Eugeni Dodonov:

> But meanwhile, for better understanding what is going on with your machine,
> could you setup some thermal sensors and check what do they say about
> temperature? And also check with powertop about what is using the most
> power out there?

Well, temperature as read by coretemp is around 60°C for the CPU, which
appears to be quite high for a completely idle device. There seems to be
some second sensor that I'm unable to read out which controls the fan,
however.

powertop seems nice -- but I have no clue on how to read it actually. Or
how to get to know what power which process actually draws. I can just
see that by far the application with the highest "Usage" is the X server
(around 10 times that of the second largest, which usually is

  7,1 ms/s      50,2        Process        /usr/bin/X :0 -auth
/var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch -background none
453,5 µs/s      19,9        Interrupt      [6] tasklet(softirq)

But since I have no clue on how to read those values, they mean next to
nothing to me. On the "Idle Stats" page, the CPU is 99.8% of the time in
C7 mode.

The "frequency stats" show the CPU is clocked at 800Mhz (the lowest
setting).

The "Device Stats" also mean little to me: It looks like a part of lspci
(with always 100% usage), i.e.

            100,0%        Radio device: btusb
            100,0%        USB Device: usb-device-8087-0024
            100,0%        USB device: DW375 Bluetooth Module (Dell
Computer Corp)
            100,0%        PCI Device: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation
Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
            100,0%        Radio device: dell-laptop
            100,0%        Radio device: dell-laptop
            100,0%        Radio device: iwlagn
            100,0%        PCI Device: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation
Core Processor Family DRAM Controller
            100,0%        PCI Device: Intel Corporation Centrino
Advanced-N 6205
            100,0%        PCI Device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200
Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1
            100,0%        PCI Device: O2 Micro, Inc. Device 8321
            100,0%        USB device: EHCI Host Controller
            100,0%        PCI Device: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme
BCM5761 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
            100,0%        PCI Device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200
Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller
            100,0%        PCI Device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200
Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
            100,0%        PCI Device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200
Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2
            100,0%        PCI Device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200
Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3
            100,0%        PCI Device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200
Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6
            100,0%        PCI Device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200
Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 7
            100,0%        PCI Device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200
Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1
            100,0%        PCI Device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200
Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller
            100,0%        PCI Device: O2 Micro, Inc. Device 13f7

And a few others with 0%. The "Tunables" I don't get at all. Some are
"Bad", some are "Good" -- but I can somehow switch how they are rated?
I'm confused.

Best regards,
Joe