[Intel-gfx] Linux memory use in GS45

Percy, Mike mpercy at SCIRES.COM
Wed Feb 23 23:33:47 CET 2011

In order to comply with a spec requirement, I need to determine how much shared system memory Linux Xorg will allocate to a GS45 GMA X4500 MHD?

Dmesg

[    0.420285] agpgart-intel 0000:00:00.0: Intel GM45 Chipset
[    0.422401] agpgart-intel 0000:00:00.0: detected 32764K stolen memory
[    0.445812] agpgart-intel 0000:00:00.0: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xd0000000

Xorg.log
(==) intel(0): VideoRam: 262144 KB

BIOS setting is for "Max DVMT"

System memory, 4G (although BIOS has MAX TOLUD of 3GB). /proc/meminfo MemTotal:        2955604 kB
It's my understanding that Xorg will magically detect a video memory size, but this seems to be 256MB. I'd very much like to be able to control or say with that additional shared memory is used (looking to get 512MB or more). How can I determine/verify additional memory used?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipient(s). This email may contain confidential and/or proprietary information of Scientific Research Corporation. If you are not a named recipient, you are prohibited from reviewing, copying, using, disclosing or distributing to others the information in this email and attachments. If you believe you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the email, any attachments, and all copies thereof from any drives or storage media and destroy any printouts of the email or attachments.

EXPORT COMPLIANCE NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain technical data subject to U.S export restrictions under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Export or transfer of this technical data and/or related information to any foreign person(s) or entity(ies), either within the U.S. or outside of the U.S., may require advance export authorization by the appropriate U.S. Government agency prior to export or transfer. In addition, technical data may not be exported or transferred to certain countries or specified designated nationals identified by U.S. embargo controls without prior export authorization. By accepting this email and any attachments, all recipients confirm that they understand and will comply with all applicable ITAR, EAR and embargo compliance requirements.