[Intel-gfx] PCI configuration space of the VGA controller and laptop LCD picture quality.

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 13 21:29:45 CET 2011

On 2011/01/13 11:58 (GMT-0800) SD composed:

> I still can't figure out why Fedora (13,14,15) shows LCD picture much
> worse then opensuse 11.1.

What does "worse" mean? Most people who see "worse" are actually complaining
about fonts, and in most cases even then they don't define what is "worse"
about the fonts. Can you upload screenshots of both so people can see what
"worse" means?

That said, Fedora sets some system wide variables that affect X
quality/behavior in /etc/X11/Xresources:

Xft.dpi
Xft.hintstyle
Xft.hinting

openSUSE doesn't do that. If you comment those away in Fedora, or match the
Xft.dpi number to your LCD's actual DPI, you may find the difference is
reduced or disappears, particularly if actual DPI varies more than nominally
from the Xft.dpi setting. OTOH, they may produce little or no improvement if
you've set your DTE to force DPI or tweaked its font smoothing settings.

If you need to comment further, also specify which DTE you use, as that can
matter as well in future responses.

> As long as I still want to use Fedora on my laptop I would like to ask -
> can picture quality be spoiled by different PCI configuration?

I highly doubt it, other than if it's wrong there's no picture to assess the
quality of.
--
"How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose
understanding rather than silver." Proverbs 16:16 NKJV

  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/