[Intel-gfx] Serious Performance Issue

Travis Allen tallen at avi-electronics.com
Thu Jun 23 18:04:04 CEST 2011

I am using an D945GSEJT board.

Essentially what I am trying to do is run 1 single app on top of X (no window manager, login, etc).  What I did is install a command-line only Ubuntu 11.04, install xorg through apt, update the intel driver to 2.15.0, and use "startx /blah/blah" to launch X and the app.  The OpenGL performance was so bad that if you use glxgears as the only app running it would only get about 27FPS and looks just horrible.

Using glxinfo I double checked that it is not using Software Rendering, so I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  If I install full blown Kubuntu 11.04 and update the intel driver to 2.15.0, log in, and check performance there it runs perfectly fine.

The really weird thing? When using plain X with no window manager if you move the mouse constantly or hold down a keyboard key the framerate increases immensely.

Can someone help me out here?  I am beyond confused as to what could be causing this.  In theory the only difference between the full blown Kubuntu build and the Window-manager-less X build is KDE (especially since I ensured both are using the correct OpenGL renderer).

Travis