[Intel-gfx] Deep color support and bug fixes

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Fri Jun 24 11:32:16 CEST 2011

On Wed, 11 May 2011 10:48:01 -0700, Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org> wrote:
> A couple of bug fixes, and some patches to support deep color on Intel
> chipsets.

My main concern with extended fb->depth support is in validation that the
crtc+encoder supports the requested fb, and that we have sufficient
logging of the bpc (inc fb->depth/fb->bpp) changes during modeswitch.
There are some restrictions that you add in mode_set() that need to be
raised to intel_framebuffer_init() so that the error is detected early.
But we should also be checking the requested fb->depth is valid during
preparation, and error early.

>From the DDX, we declare the fb depth before we know what's attached, and
once established that depth is permanent (if only due to the complexity of
invalidating all client cached state for the old depth). So we're stuck
with the user getting it right. In a composite-only, pixmap-per-crtc model
changing depths on the fly is possible and clients can choose to take
advantage of the deep-color support, or not.

So here goes -depth 30...