[Intel-gfx] Scaling control for HDMI output from GM45?

Joshua Redstone redstone at gmail.com
Mon May 2 07:29:56 CEST 2011

Hi intel-gfx,
I have a Lenovo T500 laptop with a GM45 graphics chip.   Under Ubuntu
11.04 (which shows intel Xorg driver version 2.14.0 in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log), when I connect an external LCD tv (sony bravia
46ex620) to the laptop via HDMI at 1080p, the 1920x1080 image on the
tv extends beyond the borders of the tv by about 10%.
What option can I set in the intel driver to tell it to send the raw
1920x1080 image without scaling it?

I presume there is an option because when I boot into windows Vista on
the laptop and connect the external display, I have the same problem,
and the "Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel" has an option to
adjust horizontal and vertical scaling, which I can use to get rid of
it.  I have the LCD tv "wide mode" set to "Full" (the other modes
distort the image even more).

I saw the "scaling mode" option for LVDS and got excited because it
sounds like that almost would do it, but alas, it is not available for
HDMI output.
Many thanks for any suggestions.
Josh