[Intel-gfx] G35 does not work after Xorg upgrade: Server 1.10.4 / intel module version = 2.15.901

Marc MERLIN marc_xorg at merlins.org
Mon Nov 7 07:46:36 CET 2011

On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 02:38:00PM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> I had it working for years with an older X/ubuntu and after upgrading
> to Oneiric, Xorg says (EE) No devices detected

Mmmh, so for the archives, problem was that i915 wasn't being loaded with
modesetting on.

Was was simply "modprobe i915 modeset=1"

Now, I'm very unclear why I had to do this since I thought modesetting was
default now in recent kernels (I had 3.x).

Also, nothing in ubuntu did the job right of loading the module with the
correct non default setting.

More worringly, I seem to remember that back in the day, Xorg would output
an error with a hint about the modesetting issue, and in this case, no
useful error was output.

Anyway, hope this helps someone. Far from me the thought that modesetting
would come back to bite me in a distribution that's just a month old.

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/