[Intel-gfx] [Mesa-dev] Mesa/Gallium overall design

Allen Leinwand Allen.Leinwand at teleca.com
Thu Nov 17 00:02:36 CET 2011

In a posting to intel-gfx on Mon Apr 12 10:12:12 PDT 2010, Jesse Barnes
gave several reasons why the Intel Mesa drivers team was not supporting
the Gallium drivers at that time.  Here is an excerpt from that email:

Moving to Gallium would be a huge effort for us.  We've invested a lot

into the current drivers, stabilizing them, adding features, and

generally supporting them.  If we moved to Gallium, much of that effort

would be thrown away as with any large rewrite, leaving users in a

situation where the driver that worked was unsupported and the one that

was supported didn't work very well (at least for quite some time).

Currently, the benefits of Gallium are outweighed by this

consideration, at least in my opinion.  However, Dave has been poking

us a bit about using LLVM for a sw vertex shader implementation on 945,

which Gallium would make much easier aiui, so who knows things may

change in the future.  I still worry about delivering a high quality

and supported driver to our users though.

It is now a year and seven months later.  Is this still the policy of
the Intel graphics organization?

It appears from looking at the Classic and Gallium driver code base,
that OpenVG is only supported in the Gallium version.  Is this correct?

Can someone please enumerate any other feature differences between the
Classic and Gallium drivers?

Thank you very much in advance.

Allen Leinwand

Allen Leinwand

Teleca

,
Allen.Leinwand at teleca.com
http://www.teleca.com/

Follow what's going on at Teleca's blog on http://www.whatsyourideaoftomorrow.blogspot.com/.

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately. The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly prohibited.