[Intel-gfx] [RFC] Three pipe support for IVB

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Oct 5 22:18:50 CEST 2011

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 12:56:47 -0700, Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org> wrote:

> Unfortunately, (2) complicates our mode list output.  If you query for
> available modes, you'll definitely see some that you can't drive with 3
> pipes enabled.  I'm not sure if the best way to handle that...

All we can do is say 'no' when someone tries to select that
configuration. We've never figured out a better way to list valid
settings.

The proposed RandR 1.4 protocol has a 'set everything all at once' API
which allows you to say 'no' before even starting the mode setting
process, which is kinda nice. We just need to make sure sure this can be
mirrored through KMS to the hardware.

keith.packard at intel.com