[Intel-gfx] [ANNOUNCE] glamor 0.5.0

Zhigang Gong zhigang.gong at linux.intel.com
Sun Aug 12 10:17:51 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 08:58:33AM -0700, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2012, at 03:37, Zhigang Gong <zhigang.gong at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
> > to try a full functional xserver with glamor, it’s recommended to use the
> > following xserver version:
> >
> > commit a615b90cab7569fae9d123e4da1d3373c871d84b
> >
> > Author: Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com>
> >
> > Date:   Wed Mar 14 11:32:36 2012 -0700
> >

> >    Bump version number to 1.12.99.0
> >

> >    Now that 1.12 has branched, reset the version on master to a
> >
> >    development number.
> >

> Why is such an old server version recommended?  Surely tip of server-1.12-branch is superior to this branch point+1 on master?  And I'd really expect tip of master to be a better candidate than that given the development nature of glamor.  Can you please clarify?

This version is what I'm used to do the last round testing, so I recommended it
in the announcement. Actually, glamor 0.5.0 is also compatible with the tip of
server-1.12-branch. I just not do fully testing with it but it should work fine.

As to the master branch, glamor 0.5.0 is not compatible with it since the following
commit:

   a1d41e...: Move extension initialisation prototypes into extinit.

The last compatible version is at commit b86aa74...

As to the reason why glamor can't work with tip ot master, please refer:
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2012-July/032597.html.

BTW, to fix that issue is the first to do item for next version glamor.

Thanks,
Zhigang