[Intel-gfx] Regular DRM deadlock on SNB

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Aug 17 21:41:02 CEST 2012

Hi,
I've got a MacBookAir4,2 (mid-2011 version with Sandy Bridge), and get
pretty regular deadlocks in DRM.  I'm not 100% sure they all have the
same root cause: the most regular one seems to occur under fairly
heavy I/O pressure, whereas this one just randomly happened whilst
running the Clutter testsuite.  The I/O one seems to be pretty easy to
trigger; if the system is under heavy memory pressure and you do a lot
of I/O, I can hit a deadlock pretty easily.  My usual case for this is
Chrome running with about a billion tabs open, a large compile just
having finished, and then copying something between my encrypted /home
and an external USB drive.  I haven't got the trace for this handy but
will try to dig it up out of logs, or get it the next time it happens.

I've attached the one I just hit running the Clutter test suite (which
seemed to start from a BUG and go downhill from there), which is also
available at http://hastebin.com/detumihuju.xml

If it helps, I'm running under GNOME Shell.

Any advice/help/fixes welcome, please!

Cheers,
Daniel