[Intel-gfx] system freeze with kernel 3.2-rc7

Kai Krakow hurikhan77 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 23:57:40 CET 2012

Ben Widawsky <ben at bwidawsk.net> schrieb:

> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 01:43:37AM +0100, Kai Krakow wrote:
>> I found my system freeze mostly during starting up X and KDE. Sometimes
>> it works for some minutes, sometimes it freezes immediatly. When the
>> freeze happens, everything is dead (even the reset button does not work,
>> I need to power cycle).
[...]
> Can you please try this kernel:
> git://people.freedesktop.org/~bwidawsk/drm-intel context-support
>
> You probably need to manually enable rc6. We were given some hint that
> we may not be setting up contexts properly. The above branch should
> create a default context (amongst other stuff which won't happen in this
> case).

Since that branch seems to be based off 3.2-rc6 I didn't need to enable RC6,
it was on by default.

But I'm sorry to inform you that this still makes my system board freeze
during KDE login, sometimes early, sometimes late during loading of the
desktop.

My system freezes completely: Keyboard dead, SysRq shortcuts dead, screen
goes blank (or shows funny lightshows before blanking), even the hard disk
LED freezes. I need to power cycle to get back into a working state. If I
only use the reset switch, the board behaves strange after reboot. The reset
button sometimes takes a few seconds to make the system reboot when frozen.

All this tells me that something really bad goes on within the
CPU/GPU/chipset during freeze which even survives a board reset. Only power
cycling helps.

Keith got the specs of my system and wanted to "mirror" it for development.
Maybe he could find out better what happens. I have no idea how to debug
that because everything freezes so badly.

Regards,
Kai