[Intel-gfx] New drm-intel-next tree

Eugeni Dodonov eugeni at dodonov.net
Mon Jan 16 20:58:39 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 17:41, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Because Keith is routinely really busy with all kinds of things, notably
> gathering fixes for drm-intel-fixes, the patch merge process for the next
> release cycle sometimes falls behind. To support him and improve things I've
> been volunteered to take over handling the -next tree.
>
> The main aim is to shift the drm/i915 -next merge process massively ahead with
> the goals to:
> - Reduce pressure to merge questionable patches into -rc kernels because the
>  -next tree is not yet open for patches.
> - Allow our QA at Intel and also the community to actually test things before
>  they land in mainline. The lack of such testing has severly bitten us in the
>  past few releases.
> - Refocus -fixes on handling regressions with absolute top priority (as it
>  should).
> - And generally get a steady and predictable patch-flow towards mainline back
>  into gears.

Following up on Daniel's mail, I discussed with him, and from now on I
intend to include the -next patches into the -drm-intel-backports [1]
as well, to simplify testing for ones of you running stable kernels
who want to test the latest breakages^w features :).

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg.drivers.intel/7961

--
Eugeni Dodonov