[Intel-gfx] Sandy Bridge Desktop - 1920x1080i interlace not working

Alfonso Fiore alfonso.fiore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 17:08:55 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 09:59:18PM +0100, Alfonso Fiore wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > here is mine. Let me know if you need any other log.
>
> Ok, your TV only reports 1080i as a mode (at least that's the only thing
> your kernel can decode). The i915 driver then rejects it because it's
> interlaced (we unfortunately do not yet support interlaced everywhere we
> could). Which leaves you with no modes, so as a fallback the kernel just
> adds a bunch of default VGA modes which your TV can't cope with properly.

Hi Daniel,

would you agree that these are two separate bugs?
I'd like the Intel driver to both:
- allow me to use 1920x1080i
- allow me to use 1024x768p without reverting to nomodeset

If I want to see a video where a progressive resolution brings better
results than an interlaced resolution (despite the less pixels) I'd
like to be able to.

Right now, with nomodeset I can only play video using VLC which has
its own hardware acceleration. With the embedded xbmc player I can't
watch any video.

Will a proper way to see 1024x768 be added? kernel 3.0.0-12.20 (Ubuntu
11.10) was working fine with the i3 550.

Should I file a former bug?

thank you,
alfonso