[Intel-gfx] Sandy Bridge Desktop - 1920x1080i interlace not working

Alfonso Fiore alfonso.fiore at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 12:23:54 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 05:08:55PM +0100, Alfonso Fiore wrote:
>> would you agree that these are two separate bugs?
>> I'd like the Intel driver to both:
>> - allow me to use 1920x1080i
>> - allow me to use 1024x768p without reverting to nomodeset
>
> Yep, that's correct. For the first issue Peter Ross is working on some
> patches, for the later I suspect the missing CEA support. Please try this
> out by grabbing the kernel tree I've told you and running it. Peter's
> patches are on this mailing list, if it's easier for you I could create a
> quick git branch somewhere.

Ok Daniel, I also tested drm-intel-fixes branch (to check if I could
get 1024x768p without flickering)

I followed your instructions:

- First checkout Keith's kernel tree:
- git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/keithp/linux.git
- Then checkout the drm-intel-fixes branch with
- git checkout -t origin/drm-intel-fixes
- Confirm with
- git branch
- that you're indeed on the -fixes branch. Then do whatever your distor
- howto tells you to compile a kernel from sources.

after reboot I see yet an other behavior.

LightDM shows an odd resolution. Not flickering but oddly placed and
definitely not usable.
After login the screen goes black (interestingly, not blue like when I
try 1920x1080i)
I logged in with VNC and tried to switch to 1024x768p with xrandr:

xrandr --newmode "1024x768_01" 65.00  1024 1048 1184 1344  768 771 777
806 -hsync -vsync
xrandr --addmode HDMI2 "1024x768_01"
xrandr --output HDMI2 --mode "1024x768_01"

but nothing changes.

Recap: original kernel: two half screens flickering
latest drm-intel-fixes branch: black screen

attached dmesg.output and Xorg.0.log

thank you,
alfonso