[Intel-gfx] Sandy Bridge Desktop - 1920x1080i interlace not working

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Thu Jan 19 16:37:24 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 04:16:12PM +0100, Alfonso Fiore wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 01:41:30PM +0100, Alfonso Fiore wrote:
> >>
> >> Ok,
> >>
> >> so I attached the new logs and also a screenshot of how my desktop
> >> looks like and always looked like with Sandy Bridge if I don't use
> >> nomodeset. Some kernels make it flicker, but not this one.
> >>
> >> also, how to change resolution after xrandr -q? I only learned how to
> >> do it in the way I showed earlier.
> >
> > Like Peter said:
> >
> > $ xrandr --output <output> --mode <mode>
> >
> >> the output of xrandr is in the logs too.
> >
> > Couldn't find it, it looks like the old targz with the cut-off dmesg.
> > -Daniel
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Are you sure the attached logs are not ok? I downloaded them a couple
> of times and I can see three files inside the tgz:
> - xrandr-q.log (output of xrandr -q)
> - Xorg.0.log
> - dmesg.output

Hm, looks like I've looked at the wrong tgz, sorry for the mess ;-)

> dmesg starts with:
>
> [    0.000000] Initializing cgroup subsys cpuset
> [    0.000000] Initializing cgroup subsys cpu
> [    0.000000] Linux version 3.2.0-drm-intel-fixes+ (root at NAS) (gcc
> version 4.6.1 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.1-9ubuntu3) ) #1 SMP Thu Jan 19
> 10:22:25 CET 2012
> [    0.000000] KERNEL supported cpus:
>
> So I guess that's the beginning.

Yep, logs good. We also seemed to parse the edid correctly.

> Let me know if there is anything else I can do.
> I think there are no more pending tests you requests.
> I'll wait for further instructions and/or patches to test.

Yeah, unfortunately Peter's interlaced patches have issues still on
Sandybridge. Meanwhile you could try out all the modes the kernel detected
from the edid with xrandr (also see whether picking a different refresh
rate with --rate changes anything). If any of them work correctly (instead
of the cut-in-half or tiny screen), that might be interesting to know.

Maybe also attach the raw edid, you can find it in /sys/class/drm/*/edid
for your TV.

Thanks, Daniel
Mail: daniel at ffwll.ch
Mobile: +41 (0)79 365 57 48