[Intel-gfx] Macbook Pro Retina display problems

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Jul 31 05:41:14 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:06:28PM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Greg KH <gregkh at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to the the $Subject laptop up and running using the built-in
> > Intel graphics chip:
> >
> > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> >         Subsystem: Apple Inc. Device 00f7
> >         Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 53
> >         Memory at c1400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
> >         Memory at b0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
> >         I/O ports at 3000 [size=64]
> >         Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
> >         Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
> >         Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
> >         Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
> >         Kernel driver in use: i915
> >
> > And it seems that the xorg Intel driver just doesn't recognize it at
> > all.
> >
> > Below is my Xorg.0.log file.  I'm using a 3.5.0 kernel (with a few minor
> > hardware patches for other bits of this laptop that don't work with
> > 3.5.0, but no changes to the graphics drivers.)
> >
> > Any ideas or patches I can try out?
>
> try writing an xorg.conf with a BusID in it and see if it works, most
> likely the primary boot_vga detection is busted.

Ah, I did that previously, it gave me a black screen and locked up.
I'll get the log from that tomorrow and send it here.

Note, we are switching from EFI framebuffer mode, so could that be an
issue as well?

And, just to make it fun, this laptop also has an nvidia chip in it, but
someone else is working on getting the nouveau driver working on it, I
was trying to stay away from that mess :)

thanks,

greg k-h