[Intel-gfx] 1080i content on 1080i shakes

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Jun 11 09:32:05 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 10:50:46PM +0200, Angela wrote:
> Hello
> I have the interlaced patch running (kernel 3.3, not updated since February)
> and is working perfect for up to 720p TV content. However with 1080i TV
> content the picture shakes almost continuously. The shaking is also viewable
> when the recording is paused. Only some 1080i channels are almost OK. Others
> are not viewable.
> I have updated with xorg-edgers several times for the last three months
> without any improvement.
>
> While shooting a movie (25fp) I could not capture the shaking also not when
> paused. So I paused a recording and shot continuously pictures (iso1600)
> showing how the picture (shirt) shakes. The pictures can be downloaded
> http://www.filedropper.com/1080iplayedon1080ipaused 10MB.

Hm, to me that just looks like interlaced being interlaced. We scan out a
progressive framebuffer, so when you display interlaced content it first
gets deinterlaced, then the hw again makes an interlaced stream out of it.
Maybe we could improve things by picking a different
progressive->interlaced mode in the hw, but otherwise I dunno.

Yours, Daniel
Mail: daniel at ffwll.ch
Mobile: +41 (0)79 365 57 48