[Intel-gfx] [3.2.y] drm/i915: add Ivy Bridge GT2 Server entries

Jonathan Nieder jrnieder at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 19:44:09 CEST 2012

Maik Zumstrull wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Julien Cristau <jcristau at debian.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct  1, 2012 at 03:24:32 -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>>>  - without this patch, modern X errors out instead of starting,
[...]
>> I'd expect X to start with vesa or fbdev, rather than erroring out?
>
> There's a corner case when X and the kernel know about the graphics
> device, but libdrm doesn't, in which case an assertion in the X driver
> fails and X doesn't start. Upstream libdrm has been okay for a few
> releases.

I think Julien means the case where the kernel does not know about the
graphics device.  From [1]:

| 3.2 crashes as well, but not as hard as 3.4. With 3.2, X doesn't come
| up, but you can switch to a console and reboot. 3.4 needs the reset
| button.

X should have been able to start using the vesa or fbdev driver.  I'm
not sure why that doesn't happen --- do you have an Xorg log from
booting and trying to start X with a 3.2.y kernel without the
"drm/i915: add Ivy Bridge GT2 Server entries" patch?

Thanks,
Jonathan

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/684767