[Intel-gfx] bad panel power sequencing delays, disabling panel

Seth Forshee seth.forshee at canonical.com
Wed Oct 24 14:56:14 CEST 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 10:03:12AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 01:27:23PM +0800, Daniel J Blueman wrote:

> > > Hm, dp aux transfer don't work (this is the first one in the setup
> > > sequence, so it's not an i2c over aux issue with the edid read). I
> > > guess the mux is getting in the way. Dave, do you have an idea what's
> > > still going wrong? panel power sequence is now operationl. For
> > > reference, the wip patch series is at:
> > > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~danvet/drm/log/?h=for-pzanoni
> >
> > Booting for-pzanoni as of today, when switching to i915, the backlight
> > turns off [1]. Full boot log at
> > http://quora.org/2012/mbp-i915-panel-3.txt ; the same situation occurs
> > on 3.7-rc2 alas.
>
> Yeah, you have an issue with dp aux not working (since the mux is set
> wrongly), not with the panel not being powered on (or at least that's a
> secondary issue). So the panel power improvements don't help you.

My suspicion is that Daniel has been using the technique of setting the
mux to the integrated GPU in OS X and rebooting, which I've heard others
say works. Likely the new firmware now resets the mux to the DGPU when
the machine reboots.

> > Is there a way to trigger re-enumeration of the panels after I
> > switcheroo to i915?
> >
> > I'm checking with Seth if the mux could be the issue, though the code
> > shows there would be an error message if switching failed.
>
> Iirc Dave Airlie has patches to delay the driver init until the mux code
> is all set up, so that the driver could request the mux to be switched
> while init is ongoing.

Actually those were my patches, which Dave rejected. I haven't had the
time yet to try and find yet another way of getting switcheroo to work
on these machines.

Seth