[Intel-gfx] [RFC] Async flips

Ville Syrjälä ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com
Wed Oct 31 13:53:24 CET 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 01:33:47PM -0500, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> The hw supports async flips through the render ring, so why not expose it?
> It gives us one more "tear me harder" option we can use in the DDX and
> for other cases where simply flipping to the latest buffer is more
> important than visual quality.

The only reason I can see why anyone would really want async flips is
when you're restricted to double buffering. With triple buffering you
should be able to override the previous flip w/o tearing.

Well, actually if you use the ring based flips, then you can't do the
override. My atomic page flip code can do it because it's using mmio
flips. There were also other reasons favoring mmio over ring.

Once the atomic code is deemed ready, I would suggest we just nuke the
ring based flip code (pun intended).

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel OTC