[Intel-gfx] Valid DP connection without EDID?

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 11:11:34 CEST 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> At Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:21:47 +1000,
> Dave Airlie wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
>> > Hi Adam,

>> > It shows "DPCD: 110a820100030181"
>>
>> I don't see how it can be a floating port if something is answering
>> DPCD, or how it could be a hardware problem. Like it doesn't seem
>> likely they terminated the port with a special DP chip.
>
> The problem is that you have no DP output there in reality.  So, when
> you plug the docking station, GNOME sets up the screen with a bogus DP
> output, either in an extended mode with a non-existing screen or a
> clone mode with a wrong low resolution.

Yes I understand the problem, I'm disagreeing with your diagnosis of
what the problem is, since DPCD response means something is there.
DPCD comes from the other end of the cable.

>> Though you'd have to decode the DPCD to see what it is.
>
> Hmm, but isn't it the check of EDID existence enough?

No thats a hack, that we might use, but I can't imagine a DP->VGA with
a EDID-less VGA device producing an EDID, whereas it will produce a
DPCD.

> Checking DPCD bits might work, but I have no exact spec of DPCD, so no
> idea whether the above is really wrong or not.

Is there a VGA port on the docking station, it might have a DP->VGA in
it, or dual-link DVI port.

Dave.